A smoked salmon fillet is the fastest path to an easy and flavorful meal. A culinary treat, smoked salmon has a silky smooth yet flaky texture. This makes it a delicious addition to any snack or meal, or – in the case of a smoked fillet – a show stopping centerpiece.
At Lummi Island Wild, we offer two smoked salmon fillet varieties: Pink and Keta. Each salmon species brings something different to the smoking process. Explore the differences between these fillets below.
- Smoked Pink Salmon Fillet: Pink salmon is a classic choice for a traditional smoked fillet. Light and mild, Pink salmon allows the smoke flavor to shine. We prepare ours with sea salt, brown sugar, and hardwood smoke. These fillets average 10 oz each, and we recommend a serving size of 2 to 3 ounces.
- Smoked Keta Salmon Fillet: Keta is a great salmon to smoke. It has a firm texture and mild flavor, as well as a low oil content. Smoked Keta is a great starter salmon for those new to smoked fish. Our smoked Keta fillets are available in two sizes: small, which average 1lb each, and large, which average 1.5 lbs.
If you’re interested in trying a different type of smoked salmon, consider any of our other options. Our pre-portioned smoked Sockeye, Keta, and King are great for quick snacks or for including in recipes, like salmon dips, stuffed pastas, as salad toppings, and as charcuterie. Check out our smoked salmon combo pack to get the best price on several varieties.
Our Smoked Salmon Fillet Recipe
Our smoked salmon recipe is uncomplicated. This is a time-honored, traditional smoking recipe with only 4 ingredients. We take a high-quality cut of fish, add some sea salt and brown sugar, and let the hardwood smoke do its thing. You’ll find nothing artificial here. Just good, clean ingredients and thoughtfully prepared seafood.
How to Cook with Smoked Salmon
Maybe you want to eat your smoked salmon without much preparation, like with a few capers and on toast. Maybe you want to shred it to add to a salad or pasta. But, if you’re ordering a smoked salmon fillet, you probably want the experience of cutting into a decadent piece of fish whole. Here are a few of our favorite ways to use our smoked fillets.
- Smoked Salmon Avocado Sushi Roll
- Smoked Salmon with Garlic Lemon Green Beans
- Smoked Salmon on Lemony Herb Couscous
- Smoked Salmon with Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Pancetta
Salmon Handling Instructions
Our smoked salmon ships frozen but is ready to eat immediately after thawing. If you’re adding your smoked salmon to a dish, we recommend allowing it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. These fillets will remain safe to eat when refrigerated for up to 45 days, but they can remain frozen for much longer. That said, we don’t think you’ll be able to wait that long before diving in. A Lummi Island Wild smoked salmon fillet is truly special. We can’t wait for you to try it.