It isn’t hard to buy spot prawns online, but first-time customers might not know where to start. We at Lummi Island Wild want to make the process a bit simpler. Our sweet, buttery prawns are the perfect purchase for any meal. This guide will help you figure out how much to buy, how to cook your order, and how to store it once it arrives.
Customers can buy spot prawns as two different products: tails and whole. We’ll tell you a bit about each product.
- Whole Spot Prawns: These whole prawns are available in 2-pound packages. Sourced in freezing Alaskan waters, these prawns are frozen as soon as they’re caught. Their large meat yield makes them perfect for a variety of dishes and preparations.
- Spot Prawn Tails: A customer favorite, these prawns are available in 1, 3, and 6-pound bags. These shrimp are caught by Lummi Nation tribal fishers in the deep, cold waters of the Salish Sea. Their sweet, buttery flavor is similar to that of lobster or Dungeness crab. This product exemplifies Lummi Island Wild – they’re sustainably sourced, thoughtfully prepared, and taste absolutely delightful.
How Much Shrimp Should You Buy?
If you buy spot prawns for a dinner, an event, or just to have in your freezer, you’ll need to figure out how much to get. We recommend serving 1 pound of unpeeled shrimp per person. This yield will come to around 8 ounces of uncooked shrimp per guest. The number of shrimp per pound will vary by the size you get. This is one reason why we at Lummi sell our shrimp by the pound. It is a more reliable way for our customers to gauge their shopping needs.
If you’re buying our spot prawn tails, the 1-pound option is excellent for a decadent dinner for two people. If you’re cooking for a crowd, we recommend purchasing larger portions, and perhaps serving side dishes. And, as always, you don’t need to serve spot prawns whole; they’re delicious in soups, casseroles, and other preparations.
Cooking with Lummi Island Wild Spot Prawns
Once you order your spot prawns, you’ll need to figure out how to cook with them. Lummi customers who buy our prawns say that cooking them “scampi-style,” with butter and garlic, is the way to go. We have to agree – there’s nothing better than fresh prawns and a healthy dose of garlic. But, if you’re looking to get more creative with your dinner, any of the following prawn recipe ideas are true crowd pleasers.
- Classic Shrimp Scampi
- Honey Garlic Butter Shrimp and Broccoli
- Cajun Shrimp and Rice Skillet
- Shrimp, Asparagus, and Gruyere Quiche
When you buy spot prawns from Lummi, it’s important to store them safely. Your order will arrive frozen in a cooler with dry ice. Transfer the shrimp into the freezer and keep it there until you plan to cook. Prawns will last for only around 36 hours once thawed, so we recommend defrosting immediately before cooking. That said, it’s hard to make a mistake while cooking prawns.