The black cod fish from Lummi Island Wild is some of the best whitefish available online. Aptly nicknamed “butterfish,” black cod, or sablefish, is an elegant choice for a special dinner, a weekend lunch, or even a neighborhood cookout. With a smooth, velvety texture and large, moist flakes, these fish are popular for a reason. And, when you order black cod online from Lummi Island Wild, you can rest assured that you’re getting the best-possible product for your money. Don’t trust us? Order a steak or fillet today. We’ll show you what we mean.
Our Black Cod
When you order black cod from Lummi Island Wild, you’ll have two portion options: fillets and steaks. All our black cod is caught at a depth of nearly 2,500 feet, just off the pristine Alaskan coast. All our black cod fish products have a “best choice” rating from the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s SeaWatch program. When you order our sablefish, you’re investing in both a delicious meal and a sustainable method for commercial fishing.
- Sablefish – Black Cod Steaks: These 4 – 8oz black cod portions make for an elegant dinner or a simple weekend lunch. The steaks are bone-in and skin-on, providing a solid value for an unforgettable meal. Each steak is an individual portion, which makes it easy to plan for a crowd.
- Sablefish – Black Cod Fillets: These boneless, skin-on black cod fillets are the perfect centerpiece of a special, home-cooked meal. They weigh around 1.25lb each. Whether you want a quick lunch or a special meal, this is a great option.
Like with all the wild-caught fish sourced by Lummi Island Wild, we can only sell what is in season. Our black cod is extremely popular, which means it can disappear quickly from our stores. If you’ve been meaning to try this buttery, velvety whitefish, place an order when you see it’s available.
How to Prepare Black Cod
Black cod fish meat has a high fat content. This means it will respond well to most preparation methods. Plus, a fish this buttery is very difficult to overcook, unlike wild Pacific cod. The flesh absorbs smoke, marinade, and seasonings extremely well, allowing it to take on the flavor of whatever it’s paired with. We personally prefer our black cod to be pan-roasted with just a pinch of herbs – the flavor is that good. However, black cod’s texture and taste complement a variety of flavors. Here are a few of what we’d consider the best cod recipes ever.
- Traditional Black Cod with Miso
- Pan-Seared Black Cod with Morels and Asparagus
- Alaskan Black Cod with Hoisin and Ginger Sauces
- Black Cod with Pine Nuts, Tomatoes, and Olives
- Black Cod with Swiss Chard, Olives, and Lemon
What to Expect When You Order Black Cod Online
Like all our wild-caught fish, Lummi Island Wild black cod fish ships frozen. It will arrive at your doorstep packaged in an insulated container with dry ice. If you want to save the fish for later, it will last for up to two months in the freezer. Black cod’s high oil content means it will spoil faster than other frozen fish, but we doubt you be able to hold off on eating it once the fish arrives.
When you order black cod from Lummi Island Wild, you also have the option to immediately transfer the fish to the refrigerator. Black cod will remain safe to eat in the refrigerator for up to seven days. Sablefish is among our favorite types of seafood, and we hope it’ll become a regular ingredient in your meal rotation.