Shellfish comprise a large portion of the seafood industry, but shellfish delivery has been on the rise in recent years. With newer technologies and the ability to overnight perishable products, more providers are getting into frozen shellfish. Who’s to blame them? Shellfish, like scallops, prawns, and crab, are loaded with protein and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as vitamin B12 and zinc – not to mention their amazing taste.
Unfortunately, shellfish delivery is one of the easiest things to get wrong. This isn’t the case at Lummi Island Wild. We promise that your meal will arrive frozen, fresh, and ready to cook. If you don’t believe us, we encourage you to try one of our shellfish products for yourself.
Our Shellfish Offerings
Lummi Island Wild is proud to offer three types of shellfish: prawns, scallops, and crab. We don’t have many products in each shellfish category, but we do this for a reason. The fewer products we have, the more control we have over individual items. This also means we have more knowledge of our products, which we can then pass to our customers. All our shellfish is the highest-possible quality. If you order shellfish online with us, we promise to not disappoint.
If you’re looking to get a little more familiar with the Lummi Island Wild shellfish lineup, we’ve provided brief profiles for each type below.
- Prawn Tails: Our spot prawn tails are caught by Lummi Nation tribal fishers deep in the Salish Sea. With a sweet, buttery flavor, these are some of the best prawns we’ve ever tasted. If you’re new to cooking prawns, we recommend preparing with a lot of garlic and olive oil, preferably in a cast-iron skillet.
- Alaskan Weathervane Scallops: When you order weathervane scallops for delivery from Lummi Island Wild, you’re in for a treat. These scallops have a creamy, white flesh and a sweet, buttery taste. Plus, the Weathervane fishery is an exemplary model for sustainable scallop harvesting, having been certified as a green fishery by the Marine Stewardship Council.
- Dungeness Crab: We’ll ship Dungeness crab right to your door. With a moist, naturally sweet meat, these whole crabs or Dungeness crab clusters make for a very versatile meal. All our crabs are pre-cooked and frozen, nearly eliminating the need for any additional preparation. Just thaw on the counter or in the refrigerator, boil for four minutes, and serve with a side of melted butter. We make Dungeness crab delivery easy and delicious at an affordable price.
We are extremely proud of the sustainable and high-quality seafood we serve. When you order shellfish delivery with us, you’re guaranteed a delicious meal.
Our Favorite Shellfish Recipes
All our shellfish is simple to prepare and serve. Simply thaw your fish in the refrigerator, then sear, bake, pan-fry, or boil until your preferred texture. Our Dungeness crabs are pre-cooked, but our spot prawn tails and fresh weathervane scallops remain frozen during processing. All of our seafood is home-chef friendly and easy to prepare.
That said, some of our customers might be looking for a little bit of dinner inspiration. We’ve included links to some of our favorite shellfish recipes. Below, you’ll find a couple of options for prawn, scallops, and Dungeness crab.
- Oven-Roasted Dungeness Crab
- Roasted Dungeness Crab
- Scallops with Herbed Brown Butter
- Asparagus with Scallops, Browned Butter and Prosciutto
- Lemon Paprika Garlic Prawns
- Prawn Tomato and Cilantro Curry
If you’re looking for a recipe to combine all our shellfish offerings, we recommend this seafood chowder recipe from New York Times Cooking. Chowders, seafood cakes, and quiches are wonderful clean-out-your freezer meals, and our shellfish will work perfectly in any recipe you choose.
How Our Shellfish Delivery Works
All shellfish delivery from Lummi Island Wild ships frozen – even the pre-cooked Dungeness crab. Our frozen foods are packed with dry ice and ship Monday through Wednesday, excluding holidays, via 2nd Day Air.
If you plan to cook your order when it arrives, we recommend storing it in the refrigerator. This will allow the seafood to thaw safely. Thawed shellfish can remain in the refrigerator for up to one week. If you’d prefer to save your purchase for another day, store it in the freezer. Weathervane scallops will remain safe in the freezer for up to three months. Our prawns will last in the freezer for up to six months, and our Dungeness crabs will remain safe for up to four months.
We know that our seafood is the best available, but we encourage you to try shellfish delivery for yourself.